Saturday, June 25, 2005

So, I opened up one of my quote books tonight and decided I would blog the first quote I came to. Only thing is, although it's a neat quote, I don't quite know what to say about it. Hmm...let's just see where my thoughs go. Today's quote comes from the last few pages of Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

On the second day, a sail drew near, nearer, and picked me up at last. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan.

It's been awhile since I read Moby Dick and I don't remember all the details of why the Rachel was cruising back and forth or who the crew was looking for. I do remember, though, the chills that came over me when I read that line in the book.

Ishmael had just come through this huge traumatic experience and was the only one who survived. Imagine how welcoming that boat looked to Ishmael. About a year ago now I read a book entitled In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick, which was Melville's inspiration for Moby Dick. In case you are unfamiliar with that book, it is the true story of a ship attacked by a whale and how 8 men survived on the open sea for around 93 days before they were rescued. Have you ever felt like you were adrift in the ocean and no sign of rescue or relief was in sight?

In the past few days I've had my eyes open about fragile life can be. Every time I talk with my grandma I'm reminded that she will probably go home sooner rather than later. I've also seen health changes in my parents which remind me that, although they are healthy now, they won't be around forever. Then just today someone pointed me to a blog being written by a father who's son is in the early stages of recovery after an almost fatal accident.

For me these things serve as a gentle (and sometimes not-so-gentle) reminder that I need to spend my time speaking uplifting words to the people I see every day. I also need to tell my family "I love you" more often. And I need to start doing these things today. After all, we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

At the end of Moby Dick, Ishmael is completely alone, but he is rescued by another boat. We all have a chance to pick each other up. If the Rachel had left Ishmael behind, he almost certainly would not have survived. Think how great the world would be if we spent our time picking each other up instead of ignoring the needs around us. Do you know someone who needs picking up? If so, I challenge you to pick them up. Don't leave them out there alone in the ocean of life.

1 comment:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.