Wednesday, June 15, 2005

For whom the Taco Bell Tolls

Here's a great quote I found in the book Bucking the Sarge by Christopher Paul Curtis:

"Ask not for whom the Taco Bell tolls , it tolls for thee."

It's said by the character Dontay who is looking for a quick buck. During a rather wild storm he notices that tiles are blowing off the roof of the near-by Taco Bell. So, he convinces his friend to come down to the Taco Bell and hit him with a tile. He is then going to go to a lawyer he saw on t.v. and try to sue Taco Bell. Well, needless to say their plan backfires and fails big time. It did make for a humorous scene in the book though.

Have you also noticed that we seem to live in an ever more litigious society? I miss the days when people would simply say, "I'm sorry" and "Apology accepted." Now it seems like many people are out for a quick buck wherever they can get it. I can think of at least two people who were taken to court when they were completely not at fault. It's just that the other people involved wanted to get as much money as possible from whoever they could.

Then too, it seems like no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. At my place of employment we hear all sorts of excuses and explanations. Makes me just want to say, "Just admit you're at fault and make amends." I can't say I don't make excuses and such. I know I'm just as guilty as the people I see every day. Still though, we wonder why kids these days don't have a humble spirit. Perhaps it's time to look at the example we are setting. Do we model taking responsibility for our actions, or do we shift the blame to someone else and hope no one will notice?

Okay, I'll climb down off my soapbox now. Thanks for sticking with me through all my ramblings.

Cheers
:)

No comments: